Have a wonderful day :)

Monday, December 23, 2013

What's on your mind?

This post is dedicated to my best friend G who has been asking me to write about 'how and why we need to express ourselves'? I had been putting off this topic as I hadn't taken it seriously but today for some reason I have realized why it is very important to express oneself. So G this post is for you (and mind you am writing before the deadline you had given me- close(d) friend's birthday. Though you had asked me to write a book this is the best I could do)
In one real-life situation, I was asked a question as to what according to me is needed to make a relationship stronger? I was taken aback on with this question and that too from a person whom I had just met.

I took a deep breath and told that the strength of a relationship lies in honesty, straight-forwardness and also the fact that we must learn to express ourselves in a way where-in we have to put forth our views in front of the people who are with us such that it doesn't inflict pain (read as sugar coated where necessary). The person may have not understood the underlying meaning behind my words but I strongly feel that communicating our views and concerns will definitely make way for a stronger bond between people thus helping us in the long run.

More often than not, people part mainly because of misunderstandings and a lot of presumptions caused due to mis-communication or the lack of it which can generally be avoided by sitting and pouring out.

There was yet another incident when G and myself had confronted another good friend of ours who had distanced herself from us abruptly. The answer that we got was that we can express ourselves well while she couldn't. If only she had expressed herself, we could still have been the thick of friends.

Well as a matter-of-fact, these are just a couple of incidents though in reality there are a lot of incidents where we need to talk. Say for instance a married couple, parents-children, manager-reportee, if need arises strangers, a guy and a girl when they are contemplating marriage (as is the case in arranged marriages) where the trust and knowledge about each other can increase only by expressing.

A lot of people face problem in expressing themselves as
a. They feel that their language quotient is not good enough
b. They tend to their egos more than the relationships
c. Their insecurities, for instance there are a lot of people who feel that if I tell my friend, partner, sibling about the issue, then they may feel that the information can be used against them at a later point of time and also that the former is considered insignificant than the latter or that the former will be degraded
d. Mostly people do not know how and why they should communicate.
e. Lack of confidence

The truth is unless we express people won't know what is going on in our minds. Sometimes the people around us can give better clarity and simpler resolution to the in-numerous battles that the mind is engaged in.
What more, even facebook, the most popular social networking site asks- 'what's on your mind' to update the status?

Come on people lets make our lives as well as the lives of people around us and most importantly of those whom we are close to, a lot simpler by expressing ourselves better..

If you have been an introvert, start by talking to your people whom you are close to such as your friends, family or better your reflection in the mirror to get the confidence to talk to people.

Guess what my favorite author agrees with me. This is what she had shared on her FB wall :)


So what's on your mind?

2 comments:

  1. Very well said. Again this could be better understood by People those who have emotion, but not for people those who think that what ever we does is our responsibility ( be it to be for spouse, children, siblings but not parents)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments :)